Friday, July 10, 2020 by: Janine Acero
Tags: aging secrets, Alzheimer’s, anti-aging, brain function, brain health, cognitive function, dementia, goodhealth, goodmedicine, longevity, mitochondria, natural cures, natural medicine, nutrients, PQQ, prevention, pyrroloquinoline quinone, supplements
Pandemics may come and go, but neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s, unfortunately, remain a common occurrence among the older population. However, despite these conditions affecting millions of people worldwide, they are not an inevitable part of aging. Numerous natural brain-boosting agents can help improve brain health, one of which is PQQ.
The role of PQQ in brain function
PQQ, or pyrroloquinoline quinone, is a compound found naturally in breast milk, as well as certain foods and even in the soil. PQQ supports mitochondria, which are the powerhouses of cells. Research shows that PQQ is involved in the formation of new mitochondrial cells in the brain, which helps maintain healthy brain function and can help fight age-related cognitive impairment.
Here are some of the notable health benefits of PQQ:
- Reducing inflammation and oxidative stress – Inflammation and oxidative stress play key roles in accelerated aging and chronic health conditions such as diabetes, cancer and dementia. Research shows that PQQ can help lower markers of chronic inflammation, as well as help neutralize free radicals that can cause oxidative damage to cells and tissues.
- Improving brain function – Due to the natural antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties of PQQ, this compound can help improve memory and attention and protect against cognitive decline in aging adults. Research suggests that PQQ is particularly beneficial for those recovering from traumatic brain injuries and strokes since PQQ promotes cell repair in the brain. (Related: Maintaining brain health: Keep your brain young with these supplements and lifestyle habits.)
- Increasing longevity – Because of its ability to support mitochondria and promote cell health, PQQ is believed to be a powerful anti-aging agent. The more mitochondrial cells your body produces, the better your resilience to disease. It can also support healthy energy levels and metabolism.
- Improving mitochondrial function – PQQ can help enhance mitochondrial activity, which provides more energy to your cells, thus promoting overall health.
- Improving blood cholesterol levels – PQQ has been found to reduce levels of bad cholesterol, also called low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Improving liver health – Animal studies show that supplementing with PQQ can reduce liver inflammation and reduce the risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This is good news for the 30 to 40 percent of the American population that are living with NAFLD. Experts believe that PQQ can be a promising natural remedy for this prevalent liver disease.
- Improving sleep – A 2012 study published in the journal Functional Foods in Health & Disease found that PQQ supplementation can help improve sleep quality by helping the participants fall asleep faster and stay asleep for longer. The participants also reported feeling more rested upon waking up.
Some of the usual warning signs and symptoms of conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s include forgetfulness (especially recently learned information), disorientation, mood and behavior changes, confusion about events, time, and places, and difficulty speaking, swallowing and walking. If you or a family member starts exhibiting these symptoms in an alarming frequency, consult your natural health practitioner as soon as possible to determine the necessary therapy.
Interested in other ways of protecting your brain from neurodegenerative diseases? Read more tips at Alzheimers.news.