Daily Beast: U.S. intelligence officials have reportedly been investigating an April 2019 attack on an American convoy that killed three U.S. Marines to determine whether it was connected to bounties secretly offered to Taliban militants by the Russian government.
and still, @realDonaldTrump in his full blown ignorance and support of Putin, continues to deny! He loves the military, just not ours!#TraitorTrump #TrumpIsAnIdiot #OneTermTrump https://t.co/vSpX5fBxOq
— JB Maberry (@jbm85363) June 29, 2020
Over the weekend, President Donald Trump denied being briefed on the bounties, dismissing reports on intelligence assessments that Russia offered money to Taliban fighters as “Fake News.” The claim that bounties were offered to Taliban militants was first reported by The New York Times.
“The assessment was first reported by NYT, then confirmed to AP by American intelligence officials and 2 others with knowledge of the matter …
— Julie Laumann (@Otpor17) June 29, 2020
Now the Associated Press reports that the intelligence community is specifically looking at a deadly 2019 attack in relation to the bounties. A U.S. convoy was targeted traveling back to Bagram Airfield, killing three Marines, back in April 2019. Officials are reportedly also looking at other unspecified incidents from 2019 to determine if they are also linked to Russian bounties.
We’re not just talking about Russian bounties on US military personnel.
We’re talking about Russian bounties now believed to have resulted in multiple dead American soldiers. https://t.co/jDaDFnVQfm
— Josh Campbell (@joshscampbell) June 29, 2020
The Trump administration is reportedly set to brief select members of Congress on the matter later on Monday.
“The officials the AP spoke to said the intelligence community has been investigating an April 2019 attack on an American convoy that killed three U.S. Marines after a car rigged with explosives detonated near their armored vehicles as they traveled back to Bagram Airfield, the largest U.S. military installation in Afghanistan.
Three other U.S. service members were wounded in the attack, along with an Afghan contractor. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on Twitter. The officials the AP spoke to also said they were looking closely at insider attacks — sometimes called “green-on-blue” incidents — from 2019 to determine if they are also linked to Russian bounties.
In early 2020, members of the elite Naval Special Warfare Development Group, known to the public as SEAL Team Six, raided a Taliban outpost and recovered roughly $500,000. The recovered funds further solidified the suspicions of the American intelligence community that the Russians had offered money to Taliban militants and linked associations.
The intelligence officials told the AP that Trump was briefed on the bounty matter earlier this year; Trump denied that, tweeting Sunday neither he nor Vice President Mike Pence had been briefed. Trump tweeted Sunday night he was just told intelligence officials didn’t report the information to him because they didn’t find it credible.
The intelligence officials and others with knowledge of the matter insisted on anonymity to discuss the highly sensitive matter.” read more…