Categories
Coindesk News

One of Bitcoin’s Earliest Miners Is Dedicating $66M in Crypto to a Fund of Funds

Bixin, one of the earliest bitcoin miner operators and wallet startups, is dedicating 6600 bitcoin, worth $66 million, to a new fund of funds.

The company announced the fund of funds with its proprietary capital on Friday and said it aims to invest in global quantitative trading funds whose strategies are based on arbitrage, bitcoin futures contracts and trend analysis.

By providing additional liquidity and market making activities to these trading desks amid bitcoin’s scheduled halving event, Bixin seeks to increase its holdings in bitcoin as part of its “unwavering commitment to bitcoin,” the firm said in the announcement.

“We are strong believers in bitcoin and it’s not what we want to see that the bitcoin ecosystem in China and elsewhere are in a silo,” said Liu Fei, who joined Bixin from the Huobi exchange in late 2018 and now oversees Bixin’s mining business and the fund of funds. “We hope the fund of funds can contribute to a better global liquidity structure for the bitcoin ecosystem.”

Founded in 2014 by Wu Gang, who started mining bitcoin since as early as 2009, Bixin has become one of the most known bitcoin wallet and mining pool operators in China.

It scaled up the investment in bitcoin self-mining in the late 2018 and early 2019 bearish market and is currently operating bitcoin mining facilities of about 300 megawatt-hour, roughly 3,000 petahashes per second (PH/s) of computing power that accounts for 2.5% of the Bitcoin network’s total.

Bixin established an investment and financial service arm around 2018 with its own capital and has invested in leading crypto startups in China including PoolIn and MicroBT, the two serious contenders against mining giant Bitmain’s dominance in bitcoin mining pool and miner manufacturer businesses.

Disclosure Read More

The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.

Source link

UK Covid-19 death toll surpasses 30k, becoming HIGHEST in Europe

The UK’s Covid-19 death toll has now surpassed both Spain and Italy after breaking the 30,000 threshold according to the latest figures released by the Office for National Statistics.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Source link

David Dalrymple Charged With 1982 Murder of Daralyn Johnson, Crime That Landed Charles Fain on Idaho Death Row

Idaho police say they have solved the rape and murder of a 9-year-old girl nearly 38 years ago—for the second time.

David Dalrymple, who is already serving time for molesting a child, was charged Monday with killing Daralyn Johnson, a crime another man was convicted of only to be exonerated after 18 years on death row.

“This is a day that a local family has been waiting for over nearly four decades,” Canyon County Prosecuting Attorney Bryan Taylor said at a news conference.

“It’s a day that will in time see wrongs righted and justice served.”

Daralyn left her home in Nampa at 8 a.m. on Feb. 21, 1982, but never made it to school. Her body was found by fishermen three days later in a drain ditch near the Snake River.

An autopsy determined that she had been sexually assaulted and beaten, though the cause of her death was drowning.

After a yearlong investigation, a local man named Charles Fain was arrested on less-than-ironclad evidence: His hair was similar to hair found on the body; he had a car that looked like one seen near the crime scene; and jailhouse informants testified against him.

Fain passed a polygraph, but the jury that convicted him never heard about it and he was locked up on death row—where he continued to proclaim his innocence.

In 2001, Fain was exonerated after DNA tests that were not available at the time of his conviction showed he was not the killer.

Canyon County authorities say the case has remained active since then.

According to a 2011 story in the Idaho Statesman, a lieutenant in the Canyon County Sheriff’s Office followed leads to Arizona, California, Nevada, Wyoming, Oregon, and Oklahoma, and checked the DNA of more than a dozen men without any hits.

In 2018, Sheriff Kieran Donahue’s office sent a pubic hair that was found on Daralyn’s body to a lab in California, and genealogical DNA sleuthing led investigators to Dalrymple’s family, according to a probable cause affidavit.

He was already doing 20 to life for kidnapping and sexually abusing a little girl in 2004, and police believe he has more victims. They said they have identified two other girls who say they were molested by him but never reported it.

Dalrymple, 62, was questioned in prison in February but denied being in Nampa at the time of Daralyn’s murder, according to prosecutors. However, investigators were able to disprove his various alibis.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, authorities will wait until the summer to serve the arrest warrant on him.

Daralyn’s parents could not be reached for comment, but in 2011 they said they were still hoping for a break in the case.

“It’s still just really hard,” Dennis Johnson said then. “Maybe I just haven’t come to any kind of terms with it. But if there’s any chance of anything coming from it, then it’s worth it.”

Source link

Taliban Claims Bombing of Afghan Military Center, Gives Much Higher Death Toll Than Kabul

Asia & Pacific

Get short URL

https://cdn1.img.sputniknews.com/img/105496/13/1054961350_0:231:4952:3017_1200x675_80_0_0_48bc616c32368b8d841fbae52fa98af3.jpg

Sputnik International

https://cdn2.img.sputniknews.com/i/logo.png

https://sputniknews.com/asia/202005041079197049-taliban-claims-bombing-of-afghan-military-center-gives-much-higher-death-toll-than-kabul/

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for killing or wounding “dozens of members belonging to the enemy forces,” but the Afghan government has reported only a single injury in the Sunday attack on its military post.

Taliban and Afghan government officials confirmed that a bombing occurred at a military center which housed at least 150 members of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) and Afghan National Army forces, according to Reuters

“Dozens of members belonging to the enemy forces have been killed and wounded in the attack,” Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmedi said in a statement obtained by the outlet on Monday. Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry, however, reported that only a single member of the army was injured in the bombing. 

An intelligence officer who survived the center’s bombing and spoke to Reuters on the condition of anonymity said that he pulled at least 18 bodies from the rubble on Sunday night. 

The Sunday attack came hours after Sputnik was informed by a spokesman for the government of Afghanistan’s Paktia Province that the Taliban had killed three Afghan soldiers and injured another five troops during an overnight gunfight. 

“Last night, insurgents fought for several hours at Afghan checkpoints in the Loari area of ​​Chamkani district and Muqbalo area of ​​Patan district and killed three soldiers and injured five others,” spokesman Abdullah Hasrat said, noting that Afghan forces killed eight Taliban militants and wounded another five insurgents. 

Reuters noted more casualties were reported from police in southeastern Paktika Province, who said that at least 20 individuals were injured on Sunday evening after Taliban fighters launched a hand grenade into a Khayerkot district mosque.  

While the US signed an agreement with the Taliban to end their nearly 19-year conflict back in February, the Taliban’s attacks on the Afghan government’s forces have not decreased as Washington had envisioned. More than 4,500 attacks have occurred since the pact’s signing, most of them in provinces reporting high numbers of COVID-19 novel coronavirus cases. 

Furthermore, the agreement has allowed for the release of 1,500 Taliban members from prison in Kabul. According to Afghan National Security Council spokesman Javid Faisal, at least 100 had been released as of Saturday, and some “950 other prisoners will be released” so the government can focus more of its efforts on the novel coronavirus. However, this remains far less than the 5,000 released prisoners Washington’s negotiators promised the Taliban would occur.

Afghanistan has reported 2,894 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 90 related deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. At least 397 recoveries from the novel coronavirus have been documented in the country. 

Source link