Categories
News Sputnik

‘Truth Twisters’: UK Civil Service Twitter Feed Posts Message Allegedly Taking Swipe at BoJo

UK

Get short URL

The now-deleted tweet was reportedly posted on Sunday soon after UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson finished his daily Downing Street press conference on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, during which he defended his political fixer and right-hand man, Dominic Cummings, who is accused of defying the COVID-19 lockdown.

The official Twitter account for the United Kingdom’s Civil Service left netizens in confusion after posting a message that was thought by many to take aim at members of the Downing Street government shortly after a daily COVID-19 briefing headed by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

During the Sunday briefing, Johnson supported senior adviser Cummings, who was documented ignoring the COVID-19 lockdown rules by travelling to Houghall Woods, Durham, twice, on 5 and 19 April. The briefing took place amid rising calls from many in London for Cummings to resign.

“I can tell you today that I’ve had extensive face-to-face conversations with Dominic Cummings and I conclude that in traveling to find the right kind of childcare at the moment when both he and his wife were about to be incapacitated by coronavirus and when he had no alternative I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent and I do not mark him down for that,” Johnson said in a public address on Sunday.

Johnson insisted that his advisor acted “responsibly, legally and with integrity.”

The tweet, posted directly at the end of the press conference and featuring the phrase “truth twisters”, prompted an immediate reaction.

“Arrogant and offensive. Can you imagine having to work with these truth twisters?” the deleted tweet read, according to screenshots.

The tweet was liked and retweeted many tens of thousands of times before it was taken down.

It is not clear whether the UK Civil Service Twitter account, which boasts over 261K followers, was hacked before the incident or the message was posted on purpose.

Downing Street said it has launched an investigation into the “unauthorised” message.

Shocked Twitter users reacted variously to the mysterious message, with some praising the content and the person behind it.

“This was a genuine tweet from the genuine civil service twitter account. That’s how the UK is feeling right now,” someone wrote.

A significant number of Twitterians also suggested that the incident as inappropriate, with some calling on the UK Civil Service to “remain impartial”.

“The UK Civil Service must remain impartial. On this basis, should the rogue civil servant who tweeted (using the official @UKCivilService account) to describe the Prime Minister as “arrogant and offensive, truth twister” be fired from his/her position? Yes or No?” a Twitter user asked.

Another group attempted to explain what was happening with the Civil Service official Twitter account.

On Friday, a joint investigation by The Guardian and the Daily Mirror reported that Cummings had been identified in Durham, in breach of nationwide coronavirus lockdown regulations. The Mirror noted in another report on Saturday that Cummings, whose wife had tested positive for COVID-19, defied the lockdown restrictions for a second time, taking another trip to Durham.

On Saturday, the prime minster resisted calls from the opposition and others in government to fire Cummings, arguing that the political adviser made the journey to ensure that his young son be properly cared for after his mother tested positive for the disease.



Source link

Categories
Daily Beast News

Kate Middleton Posts Throwback Picture To Mark Cancelled Chelsea Flower Show

It is usually one of the highlights of the royal summer, and one that Kate Middleton has traditionally been enthusiastic to get involved in.

Of course, this year, London’s famous Chelsea Flower Show has had little option but to migrate online, but that doesn’t mean Kate can’t find a way to show her support, posting a picture Wednesday morning of herself helping gardeners plant the RHS Back To Nature garden last year, which she helped co-design.

In the photograph, shared by Kate’s Kensington Royal social media accounts, Kate, 38, can be seen in hands-dirty mode, perched atop a pile of rocks and wearing a casual green shirt and jeans, her hair pulled back in a bun, as she helped build the showpiece garden.

This is the first year in its history that the horticultural show, which started in 1913, has not taken place (in the physical world at least).

The show has impeccable royal pedigree having been first visited by Queen Mary in 1916.

Kate’s 2019 garden was a child-friendly interpretation of a forest garden and featured a tree house, waterfall, rustic den and a campfire as well as tree stumps, stepping stones and a hollow log for children to play on.

The show is organized by the Royal Horticultural Society, of which the queen is patron.

Ahead of the show’s virtual week, Her Majesty penned a letter to the RHS to send her best wishes to all those associated with the society. 

She wrote: “My family and I have always enjoyed visiting the show, and I know that your members and supporters will be disappointed that they are unable to attend in person this year.

“I am sure that my grandmother, Queen Mary, who first attended the Chelsea Flower Show in 1916, would be delighted that many people today have an enthusiasm for horticulture, and that gardening remains a popular pastime in the United Kingdom.”

Source link

Categories
News RT

MMA starlet Pearl Gonzalez posts inspiring message while awaiting next fight (PHOTOS) — RT Sport News

Former UFC women’s strawweight Pearl Gonzalez is keeping her legion of fans entertained on Instagram while maintaining her social distancing during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Gonzalez, who fought twice in the UFC back in 2017, was famously denied the opportunity to fight in her debut at UFC 210 after commission officials felt her breast implants were too unsafe.




Also on rt.com
Knockouts: Five female MMA fighters-turned-models (VIDEO)



Eventually, she was cleared to fight, but fell to defeat to Cynthia Calvillo. She was later released by the UFC after losing her second octagon bout to Poliana Botelho at UFC 216.

Since being released by the UFC, Gonzalez signed for all-female fight promotion Invicta Fighting Championships, where she has won four of six bouts.

But with the promotion currently not hosting fights due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Gonzalez is stuck at home San Diego, California, where she posts regular updates to her 157,000 fans on Instagram.




Also on rt.com
‘Good thing we’re so pretty’: Paige VanZant fires back at UFC heavyweight Curtis Blaydes with sarcastic Instagram post (PHOTOS)



Gonzalez was recently drawn into a heated online debate with UFC heavyweight Curtis Blaydes, who said some female fighters, including Paige VanZant and Rachael Ostovich, only kept their places on the UFC roster because of their looks, and criticized Gonzalez for using her Instagram to build her fame using her looks, rather than her fighting skills.

But after shutting down Blaydes’ comments, Gonzalez has continued with her style of posting to the social media channel, with her most recent post, a shot of her performing a side kick in front of the San Diego Museum of Art, captioned, “Be eye candy, soul food & a side of kick ass. Happy Sunday morning #teamgonzalez”




Also on rt.com
American Sweetheart: 5 times Paige VanZant broke the internet (PHOTOS)



Gonzalez’s career record reads 10 wins, 5 losses, with half of her victories coming by way of submission.

And, after showing her ability to hold her own in the face of direct criticism, her fans will be even more keen to see her return to the cage in winning style once Invicta FC starts hosting events again.




Also on rt.com
‘Let’s make Curtis Blaydes mad!’ Fans take dig at UFC heavyweight with Rachael Ostovich beach bikini post (PHOTOS)



Source link

Categories
News RT

‘Is it Kylie Jenner?’ Mexico star accidentally posts NAKED snaps with topless model (PHOTOS) — RT Sport News

LA Galaxy midfielder Jonathan Dos Santos posted a naked photo of himself and 21-year-old Greek-Ecuadorian model Amanda Trivizas on Instagram, swiftly deleting the racy shot from his story after fans had captured the evidence.

Trivizas kissed Dos Santos’s shoulder between the sheets in the saucy photo seen by some of the former Barcelona player’s following of more than 2.3 million on the site, where Trivizas leaves little to the imagination for her audience of more than 823,000.

The Los Angeles-based model has been linked to American playboy Dan Bilzerian but said she could not talk about her relationship with the entrepreneur and claimed that he had treated her badly on her YouTube channel recently.

She has made no public mention of Dos Santos, who spent five years at Spanish giants Barcelona and switched to Villarreal before joining Galaxy in 2017.

The 30-year-old usually uses his social media account to highlight his taste for high fashion and post photos alongside footballer friends.

Dos Santos had spent the day wishing former teammate Giovani dos Santos a happy birthday before his apparent mistake, including a photo of the pair together with actor and former wrestler Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Trivizas has said the “connections” she has made since moving from Miami have been her favourite thing about Los Angeles, where the 21-year-old likes to visit the mountains.

She has named 56-year-old actor as her celebrity crush, explaining: “He’s so hot.”

“Right now I just smoke the occasional weed or eat edibles,” Trivizas admitted in response to a fan who asked her if she takes drugs, adding that she has had problems with becoming addicted to benzodiazepine Xanax in the past.

In her most recent video, Trivizas gave advice on cooking during quarantine while wearing a low-cut top and shorts in her kitchen.

Dos Santos supporters responded by suggesting that the hook-up increased the chances of the international staying at Galaxy long-term, as well as confusing Trivizas with celebrity lookalike Kylie Jenner.

“If Jonathan Dos Santos really slept with Kylie Jenner, he should be named captain of the Mexican team, a national hero and his face in the photo should appear on the 500 peso bill,” wrote one, who may be disappointed to learn the true identity of his date.

The midfielder was left out of the Copa America for disciplinary reasons in 2011 but played at the 2018 World Cup and scored his first three goals for his country last year.




Also on rt.com
‘I will break Usyk’s record’: Ukrainian plus-size model Mila Kuznetsova to embark on professional BOXING career (PHOTOS)



Source link