In 1977, Carol Louise Hargis was convicted of killing her husband by beating him over the head with a lead weight. She was helped by an accomplice, Terry DePew. Apparently their plan was to split the insurance money.
But what made the case unusual was the various ways the duo had earlier tried to off the husband, without success:
- feeding him pie containing tarantula venom
- throwing a live electric cord into the shower with him
- shooting air into his vein
- lacing his toast with LSD
- Putting a poisonous snake into his bed
- Putting bullets in the carburetor of his truck